ENS. Husband is out at sea (again) so its back to the ‘dinner for one’ meals for this girl. Luckily, tonight I had all the ingredients I needed to make one of the meals I enjoyed over and over while Jake was gone on his last deployment: Lemon-Butter Turkey Bacon Brussel Sprouts (AKA Brussel Sprouts you will actually WANT to eat). The recipe below makes one serving, so be sure to at least double it if you are cooking for company.
LEMON-BUTTER TURKEY BACON BRUSSEL SPROUTS RECIPE
(Time to make: 10 minutes, Calories: About 270)
– 2 Cups Brussel Sprouts (Halved or “Shaved” as shown above)
– 1 tbsp Butter (Olive Oil works fine too)
– 4 thick cut slices of turkey bacon (Trader Joe’s version is best; mmm) (chopped)
– 1/4 cup chopped sweet maui onions
– Juice of 1 lemon
– 1-2 tbsp crushed Parmesan cheese
– Garlic, Sea Salt, and Black Pepper
1. Heat the butter in large pan on medium heat until it starts to melt and brown
2. Toss in the chopped turkey bacon, stir/cook for 2 minutes
3. Toss in the brussel sprouts and onions and turn the heat up to medium-high
4. Add the lemon juice and liberal sprinklings of garlic, sea salt, and black pepper
5. Cover pan and cook for 4 minutes, only stirring once or twice to allow the brussel sprouts to brown slightly
6. Uncover, stir and cook for 1 more minute while stirring.
7. Transfer to plate and sprinkle with crushed, dry Parmesan (to taste)
Although it looks like just a lot of greens (and, well, it kind of is), this one is actually pretty “hearty” at the same time and all the fiber makes it really filling. Hopefully this dish finds you enjoying something you used to have to be bribed to eat. Enjoy!