When Jake is deployed, out on a short underway, or even just on duty, I like to keep meals simple, fresh, and healthy for myself. It’s a break from the carb & protein heavy man-meals he craves when he is home, and gives me a chance to refresh. I have a rotating list of favorites I make whenever he is gone because they are quick, easy, and delicious.
This one is called summer in a pan because it takes advantage of the in-season zucchini, available at my local farmer’s market, plus the apple-chicken sausages and lemon oil give it a fresh summer flavor as well. I sometimes eat this one for dinner or lunch 4+ times a week because I find it so satisfying.
SUMMER IN A PAN
(Time to make: 6-ish minutes, Calories: About 300)
– 1 TBSP Lemon Oil (Olive Oil infused with Lemon)
– 1 or 2 Chopped Zucchinis (depending on how hungry you are)
-1/4 Cup Crumbled Goat Cheese
-1 Sliced Smoked Apple Chicken Sausage (A variety of brands are available at most grocery stores, but my personal favorite is Trader Joe’s Smoked Apple Chardonnay Chicken Sausages)
-1 Pinch of Each: Salt, Oregano, Garlic, Black Pepper
1. Heat the Lemon Oil in a pan medium-high heat.
2. Once hot, toss in the chopped zucchini and spices; Stir.
3. After 2 minutes add the sliced chicken sausage and stir ingredients in the pan gently for 3 more minutes.
4. Turn off stove and transfer everything in the pan to a bowl. Sprinkle the goat cheese on top and lightly stir it in while the ingredients are still hot.
That’s it! Since I usually have a high-energy toddler hanging on my legs whenever I cook, I love how little time this summer recipe takes while still being a hot meal using fresh ingredients (I’m not a huge fan of microwave food). The zucchini, lemon oil, and apple flavor all taste so much like summer to me, and the tanginess of the goat cheese makes all the flavors really “pop.” Enjoy!